Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking a Laboratory Technician to join the nuclear team in Oak Ridge, TN.
Is responsible for laboratory-based tasks, which include sampling, chemical analysis, and data recording. Provides the technical support required for a laboratory to function safely and effectively while adhering to applicable procedures and health and safety guidelines. Supports radiological, inorganic, organic, and wet chemistry analyses of samples collected in support of the Salt Waste Processing Facility (SWPF).
- Performs a variety of laboratory-based tasks to support SWPF’s production and environmental requirements.
- Performs analytical procedures in accordance with SWPF’s work controls and regulatory requirements.
- Accepts samples for routine, non-routine and SWPF’s operations process sampling.
- Logs samples into the laboratory and logs sample data into a computer system.
- Prepares samples for on- and off-site analysis and assists other personnel with sample preparations.
- Prepares appropriate sample containers and documentation.
- Tracks sample/container movement.
- Is responsible for the correct disposal of all samples and laboratory waste.
- Prepares samples for various types of analyses.
- Maintains inventories of radiological materials.
- Supports sample collection activities as required to meet project schedules.
- Performs daily instrumentation preoperational checks.
- Performs preventive maintenance checks and monthly inspections and calibrations.
- Performs safety inspections..
- Ensures the laboratory has adequate supplies.
- Files and archives laboratory records, including samples collected, for future reference.
- Works under the supervision and guidance from more experienced Laboratory Technicians, Chemists and/or supervisor.
- There is no supervision of other workers at this level.
- Responsible for the quality of their own work and adhering to established good laboratory practices and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience
- Fundamental mathematics education (arithmetic, algebra, geometry and statistics). Some high school chemistry preferred.
- An associate’s degree in chemistry, the equivalent from a two-year college or technical school or equivalent experience preferred
- Attention to detail and adherence to strict good laboratory practices and procedures
- General knowledge of basic chemistry
- Ability to handle data entry tasks for sample analysis and reporting
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment including a respirator
- Normal vision (with or without correction)
- Ability to climb and descend multiple flights of stairs
- Ability to work various shifts to support 24/7 operation
- Ability to stand for extended periods.
- Strong listening skills
- Basic written, verbal and organizational skills
- Ability to pass WorkKeys® examinations for Applied Mathematics, Locating Information, and Reading for Information
- Ability to comprehend and follow procedure and work package instructions as applicable
- Ability to complete the Salt Waste Processing Facility Laboratory Technician training program
- Basic computer skills with the use of Microsoft Office products (especially Microsoft Word and Excel)
- 1–3 years previous laboratory experience or training
- Experience with radiological samples and the associated analytics
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles