Senior Project Manager
Senior Project Manager
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
We are looking to recruit an experienced Senior Project Manager to join our Project Delivery Practice based in Manchester, delivering projects in the North West & Central Regions. This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Project Manager looking to lead the successful delivery of the portfolio of projects in the region, influence the growth and development of the project management team and progress into a Project Director role.
The Project Delivery Practice leads the most complex, biggest and exciting projects within the UK. The project managers in this team directly influence the lives of people within the UK by improving their passenger experience, making their journeys better and by making the country a greener place to live. The portfolio is growing in the North West & Central region with projects with a variety of Clients – including Network Rail, MerseyRail, Transport for North as well as a number of Principal Contractors.
We are seeking a candidate able to demonstrate a high level of project leadership capability, who can ensure design delivery to time and budget on complex design projects. You will be a chartered engineer or project manager with a proven track record in the UK infrastructure engineering sector and experience of managing large scale design and engineering projects. The appointed candidate will have a track record of successful delivery on a wide portfolio of significant engineering design projects. Experience of managing construction programmes would be advantageous.
You will also be responsible for the bidding and delivery of our portfolio of rail projects covering the North West and Central region to time, cost and quality throughout their project lifecycle, from tender to closeout.
- Providing project leadership either as a Senior Project Manager on large projects or as a Project Director on medium to small projects.
- Ensuring these projects meet business revenue, profit and cash-flow expectations.
- Working Closely with the Regional Programmes Client Director to shape and deliver Transportation Rail strategy for the region.
- Ensuring bids and projects are appropriately resourced and taking a Bid leadership role on selective pursuits.
- Contributing to the bid preparation and work winning process with focus on ensuring the deliverability of the tendered works.
- Creating a community of rail project managers to develop a consistent approach to delivery and to share best practice and learnings.
- Coordinating with the practice managers who provide resource into Rail projects to support the planning of resource capacity to meet future needs.
- Developing and maintaining client relationships to support project delivery performance and maximise potential for project extensions and new work.
- Achieving a defined personal productivity target for yourself and your team through involvement in these projects.
- Ensuring compliance with Business Management, HSE and Quality procedures.
- Maintaining your knowledge of current design and regulatory standards.
- Degree qualified (degree or HNC in a relevant Engineering Discipline preferable).
- Chartered status (preferred).
Experience and Skills
- Significant experience of Project Manager roles on large scale multidisciplinary UK infrastructure projects (>£5M design fees per annum) from a design perspective.
- Ability to work constructively and collaboratively with clients so that Atkins’ commercial objectives are protected and met
- Experience of working with Network Rail and Contractors
- Experience of the management of a project portfolio.
- Good understanding of Design procedures, change control, checking and Review requirements.
- Experience of leading large multidisciplinary teams.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs